Bellow are 5 quick tips that anyone can implement that will dramatically reduce the amount you snore and help you to sleep much better.
- Lose some weight. Being overweight by just a couple of kilograms can lead to snoring. Fatty tissue around your neck squeezes the airway and prevents air from flowing in and out freely.
- Sleep on your side rather than your back. While sleeping on your back, your tongue, chin and any excess fatty tissue under your chin can relax and squash your airway. Sleeping on your side prevents this. If you find that you just roll onto your back when you fall asleep tuck pillows behind you so that this cannot happen.
- Avoid any alcohol before going to bed. Alcohol causes the muscles to relax more than usual during a normal night's sleep. This added relaxation of the muscles makes the back of the throat collapse more readily, which then leads to snoring.
- Quit Smoking. Cigarette smoke irritates the lining of the nasal cavity and throat, causing swelling and catarrh. If the nasal passages become congested, it's difficult to breathe through your nose because the airflow is decreased.
- Keep your nasal passages clear, so that you breathe in through your nose rather than your mouth. Find out what is causing your nasal congestion and try to eliminate it. If it’s an allergy that is blocking your nose, try using a nasal spray before sleeping. Ask your pharmacist for advice, or see your GP, if you're affected by an allergy or any other condition that affects your nose or breathing, such as sinuses. Having hypoallergenic bedding really does helps reduce your allergies and in this day and age everyone's bedding should be using these natural allergy and dust mite free materials, Micro fibre, Bamboo or silk.
Reducing the amount you snore will have a positive effect on the quality of sleep that you achieve. At Quiesta we are obsessed with achieving the highest quality of sleep possible. If you have any further questions in relation to this blog or about any sleep matter please contact us through our contact us link on Quiesta.co.uk or through our Facebook page and we will be happy to help.